Anyone who runs with Jesus for any amount of time understands the importance of being filled with the Holy Spirit. We argue amongst ourselves about what this means and how it is accomplished and even when it happens. However, I think most of us agree that it is absolutely vital to our life in Jesus that we be filled with the Spirit. When we are filled with the Spirit we will:
- be guided by the Spirit
- won’t carry out our selfish desires
- bear the fruit of the Spirit – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control
- think the thoughts of the Spirit
- be empowered for ministry
- be enabled to live a holy life
The good news is that there are concrete, practical things we can do to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Paul lists four things we can do to be filled with the Spirit in Ephesians 5:18-21.
- speak to each with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs – keep a Bible bookmarked to the Psalms and when you’re being tempted read one out loud to each other; learn the music of our faith and sing often together; turn scripture verses into music and sing to one another
- sing and make music to the Lord in your hearts – instead of feeding the flesh, go ahead and sing to God; try sinning while singing Amazing Grace, probably won’t happen
- always give thanks to God the Father for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ – as you are about to do harm start giving thanks for the harm and all if its negative consequences and see if you can continue with a clear conscience (you can’t see it, but my tongue is in my cheek here); it is hard to do harm while giving thanks to God
- submit to each other out of respect for Christ – fellowship with your brothers and sisters and allow them to speak into your life; accessibility is as important as accountability
So, there you have it. Go on and be filled with the Holy Spirit today!